For the first time in its three-year history, the Museum of Art and Design's (MAD) design program The Home Front: American Design Now will become an exhibition, After the Museum. Featuring more than 30 designers and collaboratives from throughout New York City, the exhibition enables the design community to question and examine a museum’s role in shaping design’s past, present, and future.
After the Museum will stage and present a series of installations and more than 40 public programs—master classes, lectures, and special projects—that examine the full breath of the oscillating relationship between designers and cultural institutions.
The 2nd Floor Gallery will be a dynamic space with installations by more than a dozen design voices from established architectural practices. It will host a variety of programs created by the often-underrepresented figures behind research and non-object-based design practices.
Exhibition highlights include:
• Master classes with legendary graphic designer and typographer Stefan Sagmeister and renowned design gallerist Murray Moss.
• Snarkitecture’s design for the entry pavilion of Design Miami—a group of shifting modular tubular seating works—will be presented in New York for the first time.
• Designers Aaron Anderson and Eric Timothy Carlson’s installation of the director’s chair into the gallery, allowing visitors to "be the director" for a moment but have their movements limited by the physical structure of museum itself.
• The LAB at Rockwell Group’s Spacebrew—a re-routable software toolkit for choreographing interactive spaces.
• The Process Book, a publication created live in the gallery by REPLY.
• The American Design Club (AmDC) will design and open AmDC Market, a pop-up shop on the museum’s 7th floor overlooking Columbus Circle and Central Park.
After the Museum: The Home Front 2013 is curated by Jake Yuzna, Manager of Public Programs, and guest curator Dan Rubinstein.
News categoriesAll News >
Designer ethics dilemmas solved by Torch Award winner Susan Muschweck
A look at this month’s top 5 arts and antiques shows
What are Amazon’s top 20 HQ choices?
A-listers come out for Kohler’s L.A. Experience CenterShowroom Openings | 4:31A-listers come out for Kohler’s...
Lladró unveils new home fragrance collectionCollection Launches | 4:49Lladró unveils new home...
- The Scene
- Tag Sale
- In Print