As part of its ongoing efforts to build regional profiles of the design sector, Icograda surveyed European members on the state of design in their country. The results were reported at the Icograda Regional Meeting on June 23 in Madrid, Spain.
State of Design: European Regional Survey 2010 provides comparative insights from a baseline survey conducted in 2008, in the context of the current challenging economic climate and its impact on the design sector.
Eleven members participated in the 2010 survey, representing nine countries within Icograda's European membership. Compared to 2008, the 2010 results offered a more diverse perspective from professional, promotional and educational organisations and included a diverse cross-section of economies.
Highlights from the report include:
• Despite a challenging economy, the status of design is seen as the same or slightly improved from 2008. Improvement is most often attributed to the implementation of government design policy.
• There is a diversity of opinion on the status of design. Professional organisations see the most significant need to elevate the status of design as a profession, while education institutions are more satisfied.
• Creating awareness of the value of design within government and industry, appropriate financial and human resources and increasing membership or organisational visibility are the top strategic priorities of member organisations.
• Although professional organisations see their design management skills as highly developed, the same members would value a mentorship programme to increase organisational capacity.
• Global networking, raising awareness of the value of design and best practice development are the most highly ranked benefits offered by Icograda.
The Asia Pacific region will be the focus of the next survey. Results will be reported at the Regional Meeting during Optimism: Icograda Design Week in Brisbane.
Download State of Design: European Regional Survey 2010.
News categoriesAll News >
Editor Carisha Swanson shares her Swedish furniture fair picks
The huge Italian brand you don’t know yet is coming to LA
Houzz brings trends to life at London pop-up
Why every designer needs these credentialsTrade Shows | 4:44Why every designer needs these...
How the wellness trend is translating to kitchens and bathroomsTrade Shows | 4:00How the wellness trend is...
Modernism Week Steel and Glass Home TourPublic Design Show
Newel Welcomes The Silver PeacockStore/Showroom Event
Fort Worth Show of Antiques & ArtAntiques Show
Lauren Rottet signs books at Mass Beverly
Helmut Newton exhibit debuts at Guy Regal
Veranda celebrates new issue with Katie Leede
Tag Sale categories
New MCM Marble Base Floor Lamp White or Black Includes Shipping - Deliverytables
- In Print