Attendees to Dwell on Design (June 20-22) in Los Angeles can expect to take away plenty of new ideas from this year’s show. Highlights include industrial designer Stephen Burks, who will give a keynote on how to marry personal goals with marketable design; “Young Gun” designers, who will be part of exhibitions and live programming; special pavilions focusing on Energy, the Modern Family and Scandinavian design; and the Dwell on Design Awards.
New exhibitors to Dwell on Design this year are American Standard, Bugaboo, Blu Bathworks, Casa Kids, Grow Studio, West Elm and Williams-Sonoma. In addition, Dwell editors’ favorite products will be on view at the newly launched Dwell Store, which will be shop-able from the show floor.
Dwell on Design 2013
Also new this year are five DOD Pavilions, curated thematically by Dwell editors, including:
- Energy 360 Pavilion: The pavilion showcases new technologies that advance the built environment, focusing on smart home technology.
- Design for Humankind: This series track is devoted to issues that explore how good design makes lives better by protecting quality of life.
- Scandinavian Pavilion: Dwell celebrates the unique modern design heritage found in Norway, Finland, Sweden, and Denmark, inviting young designers, furniture and technology companies and product manufacturers to share their latest creations and concepts.
- Modern Family Pavilion: This pavilion offers innovative architecture and design solutions that address the myriad needs, configurations, and challenges that make a house a home.
- Designing for Tomorrow: This student exhibition space will showcase student work in the form of multi-media, mixed media, models and drawings from top area schools including UCLA AUD, USC School of Architecture, SCI-ARC, Otis, Georgia Tech, UCLA Extension and the Architectural Association School of Architecture in London.
The Young Guns program will focus on emerging designers, architects, students and their mentors within the exhibition halls and onstage programming. The spotlight this year is on industrial designer and curator Jonathan Olivares, furniture maker Al Que Quiere and designer Brandan Ravenhill.
Also taking the stage will be Young Gun Alvin Huang—lead designer of Synthesis Design + Architecture (SDA) in Los Angeles—who will discuss the use of new materials in such projects as the [C]Space Pavilion, the winning entry in the Architectural Association Design Research Lab 10 Pavilion Competition.
Product by Missoni at Dwell on Design
Dwell on Design will come to a close with the juried Dwell on Design Awards, which honor the exhibitors whose commitment and vision bring the event to life. Awards are distributed across eleven categories including: Kitchen and Bath, Design Materials, Sustainability, Furniture, Lighting, Outdoor, Modern Lifestyle, Overall—Best Booth Design, Overall—Best New Product, Overall—Best in Show.
Friday, June 20, is trade day and will cater to designers, architects, and construction professionals. Hours are 10:00 a.m. – 7:00 pm. The show is open to the public on Saturday, June 21, from 11:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. and Sunday, June 22, from 11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. A complete list of programming and exhibitors can be found online.
News categoriesAll News >
IKEA experiments with furniture buyback program
Your first glimpse at Target’s colorful new home brand
A look at Domino’s home staging business
Lauren Rottet signs books at Mass Beverly
Helmut Newton exhibit debuts at Guy Regal
Veranda celebrates new issue with Katie Leede
- Tag Sale
- In Print