Details for mobile devices
High-impact role responsible for all aspects of the product development process from concept through to finished product. This newly created position is in the Boston/Fall River area. Headquartered in Boston’s Design Center, Merida designs and manufactures one-of-a kind rugs, woven to order in the historic mill town of Fall River, Massachusetts.
• Create an environment that combines collaboration, trust and respect with
creativity and untrammeled curiosity.
• Mentor the design team by caring for their professional and personal
• Inspire the workshop craftsman and integrate their skills in the design and
• Create a high-performing team that is as results oriented as they are creative
• Lead and strengthen the culture of design at Merida with the goal of embedding
it in the day-to-day conversations internally and with our clients
Research and Development
• Envision and develop with the design team a short, mid and long, term R&D
pipeline of concepts and developments
• Participate in major design, interior design and textile design events.
• Develop a network and nurture relationships with designers (fashion, interiors,
products, etc.), makers, craftspeople, architects etc.
• Be curious about our market: get inspired by clients, understand their design
perspectives, gather market insights, etc.
• Research design trends and innovations through industry publications, blogs
Product Design and Launch
• Create a compelling calendar for product launches every year in conjunction
with the Leadership Team and deliver results
• Work with marketing on successful launch plans as well as the creative assets
for bringing launches to market
• Inspire the Sales team and organize educational efforts around design and the
The Director will be an energetic, talented hands-on manager who can inspire and lead our talented team of RISD-trained designers. S/he is comfortable at the intersection of design, market research and product development.
• Bachelor’s degree in Design or any other related field preferred
• Experience leading the product design and development process from concept
• Proven track record of driving measurable results from product design and
• Deep knowledge of design, textile design and how they relate to the interior
• 3-5+ years of experience managing a small team
• Emotional intelligence—the ability to understand what everyone on your team
needs to thrive and feel fulfilled
• Capacity to collaborate and inspire collaborators toward a common goal
• Strong communication skills and ability to deliver presentations to large
• Able to advocate and inspire our customers and the market around our design
capabilities that drive our overall design manufacturing business.
• Be enthusiastic about design and designing.
• Experience with working on multiple projects simultaneously;
• Highly organized individual that pays strong attention to detail;
• Ability to work under pressure and tight schedules
Headquartered in Boston’s Design Center, and with studio/showrooms in Boston, LA and New York, Merida designs and manufacturers one-of-a-kind rugs, woven to order in the historic mill town of Fall River, Massachusetts. As a company of makers, we care deeply about the integrity of materials, the art of weaving, and the details of design. With more than 30 years of textile expertise, we partner directly with interior designers to transform their projects and enhance their
practices. Our products have been featured in national and regional publications, including House Beautiful, Architectural Digest, Elle Decor, and The New York Times.
Merida offers a generous compensation/bonus and benefits package, including:
• Life Insurance
• 401(k) plan
• Short and long term disability insurance
• Tuition reimbursement
• Generous employee discount